Organic Wild Black Butte Blackberry Seeds - 20 Count
Organic Wild Black Butte Blackberries
Description: The largest, widest, heaviest, and one of the earliest Blackberries we have ever grown! The fruits are monumental in size and shape. Black Butte berries average 1 inch in diameter and 2 inches long. Individual berries weigh more than two-fifths of an ounce--almost twice the size of other varieties of fresh blackberries.
Fruit: 1 inch by 1.75 to 2 inch long, deep Purple/Black berries that are sweet and tart at the same time.
Fruit Color: Deep dark Purple to Jet Black. The Blackberries will be bright red until they are ripe, and then will take on a glossy Purple/Blackish coloration.
USDA Zones: 2a to 8b, and to elevation in the Northeast, Northwest and Canada
Foliage: Green, minimal autumn coloration
Blooms: White to yellow depending on soil conditions.
Soil pH: Most Blackberries prefer a slightly acidic soil pH from 6.5 to 7.3 for best results
Soil: Most soils, however, the more organic, loamy the soil in the planting location is, the better the plant will establish, grow, and produce.
Height: Height is a variable that is difficult to put a number on, you can allow the plant to grow naturally, and it may have shoots that reach up to 8 feet in height, or you may grow in a container, where the height will be about one half the total diameter of the plant.
Spacing: If you are not wild-sowing the seed, then spacing the plants out 3 feet apart in rows and a minimum of 2 feet between plants is suggested.
Growing: Sow blackberry seeds in early Fall or throughout Spring in well-drained soil that contains no less than 20 percent humus and organic matter. Blackberries prefer sandy loams amended with coarse sands or clays. As vigorous growers, Blackberries need a good amount of space, so space plants about 3 feet apart. They are not deeply rooted plants, so cover growing plants with only about 4 to 6 inches of well amended soil or compost.
Sowing Depth: Sow to a depth of 1/2 (.50) inch in well-draining, organically amended soils.
Spread: Depending on location, growing conditions and other factors, your plants can grow to spread of up to 8 feet.
Sun/Shade: Blackberry plant sin general prefer sun, and lots of it! Dappled shade can be tolerated, however there will be a drop off in fruit production as you add more shade to the plant.
Pollinator: Wind, bees, insects, hummingbirds, many other wildlife pollinators are attracted to this plant to help.
Yield: Depending on your planting location and available sunshine, however, you can expect from 3/4 (.75) pound to up to 8 or more pounds from a single plant. Container plantings do not produce as much fruit, and plants that are allowed to mature in the ground will bear more and more fruit each year,
Color: The foliage is a deep dark green that showcases immature berries as red against the green. And when the fruits mature, they stand out beautifully with deep, dark, plump Purple/Black fruits.
Watering: Water, water, water, these plants love water, and when you are establishing them, the need daily drinks, maybe sometimes twice a day if you are having heat stress. Watering is best when done by misting the plants, keeping the leaves, berries and top level of soil moist without saturating the roots. While the plant is producing fruit, increase watering. Daily watering to keep plants and berries moist will aid crop production.
Fertilizer: Compost is the best fertilizer that you can use, with some natural leaves from the growing area added as a buffer/balancer for the soil to acclimate the plant as it establishes. If you must use commercial fertilizer (We do NOT recommend this method), a 20-20-20 fertilizer will suffice. Feed blackberry bushes again when they are blooming in midsummer. Do this only if your bushes are not thriving. Apply organic matter, such as well-rotted manure, compost or leaf mold in late fall or early winter. Use 25 pounds for every 25 square feet when planting raised beds. Organic matter decomposes and adds nutrients to the soil slowly. A yearly supply of organic matter also helps the soil retain supplemental nutrients (fertilizer) and water, and it improves water drainage, a must for blackberry bushes.
Pruning: If you wish, you can prune back Blackberry plants each season, they will grow more vigorously the following season with a proper, and not too aggressive pruning. If you wish to allow them to grow in their natural state and flourish naturally, you will only have to remove any deadwood at the beginning of each growing season, and occasionally (After a storm) throughout the season. After harvest, prune old or dead canes from your Thornless blackberry plant. Make the cuts near the crown and clean up any debris from the soil. To prevent the spread of disease, burn or discard all old or dead plant material. Prune damaged or weak canes as well, leaving at least four to eight new shoots on each cane. Remove the tips of the current season’s growth to encourage lateral branching. In the spring, before new growth forms, prune lateral branches back to about 12 inches to encourage larger fruit production.
Trellising: Supporting your blackberry plant with a trellis allows air and sunlight to reach all parts of the plant. There are a variety of trellis systems that work, but a good basic design uses wire stretched between posts that are set into the ground about 20 feet apart. For semi-trailing varieties, attach one wire 3 feet up the pole and another 5 feet up. Attach a single wire about 30 inches from the ground to trellis erect varieties. Begin training the plant to climb the trellis by tying new shoots to the wire when they reach about 4 to 6 feet long. Do not bunch shoots together. If you don’t wish to trellis your plant, trim the tops of new canes during the summer months, limiting growth to about 3 to 4 feet.
Harvesting: When the Blackberries are ripe, or are just turning (As some like to harvest for a much tarter berry). Handle blackberries carefully. Try and consume them as soon as possible. Never wash or hull blackberries until you want to have them. Unwashed berries should be refrigerated immediately. Soft, overripe berries should be removed for immediate consumption. Smashed or moldy berries should be discarded. The remaining berries should be blotted dry with a paper towel. Place them in a box or spread them on a shallow plastic pan or plate. Cover with a paper towel and wrap with plastic. Fresh blackberries generally last for 2 days. But they can be frozen and enjoyed all the year round.
Harvest Timeframe: Black Butte's berries ripen in late June, four to six weeks earlier than the thornless, semi-erect varieties.
Comments: Blackberries in general grow equally well in fields, gardens, and container locations. Many people grow them in raised beds to better control the fruit production, water, and other environmental factors.
Health Information: High in antioxidants, healthy flavonoids, and vitamins, Blackberries are a great addition to your diet, and they are fun to eat. A good daily supply of vital nutrients is required for a glowing and perfect skin. Blackberries are rich in Vitamin A and Vitamin C. They also offer the highest levels of some antioxidants – higher than blueberries and strawberries too. The very dark color of the fruit is proof of its high antioxidant level. Anthocyanocides and polyphenols are two antioxidants found in abundance in blackberries. These help in fighting free radicals throughout your system.
All Other Countries
First Item: $6.99
Additional Items: $0.99
First Item: $3.99
Additional Items: $0.69
DownrightNatural Policies & Guidelines
The time I need to prepare an order for shipping varies. For details, see individual items.
Estimated shipping times
* Australia: 7-21 business days
* Canada: 3-10 business days
* North America: 3-5 business days
* Europe: 7-14 business days
* Australia, New Zealand, and Oceania: 7-14 business days
* Asia Pacific: 14-21 business days
* Latin America and the Caribbean: 7-14 business days
* North Africa and the Middle East: 14-28 business days
* Sub-Saharan Africa: 14-21 business days
I'll do my best to meet these shipping estimates but cannot guarantee them. Actual delivery time will depend on the shipping method you choose.
Customs and import taxes
* Buyers are responsible for any customs and import taxes that may apply. I'm not responsible for delays due to customs.
I gladly accept returns, exchanges, and cancellations
* Contact me within: 3 days of delivery
* Ship items back within: 7 days of delivery
* Request a cancellation within: 24 hours of purchase
The following items can't be returned or exchanged
* Because of the nature of these items, unless they arrive damaged or defective, I can't accept returns for:
* Custom or personalized orders
* Perishable products (like food or flowers)
Conditions of return
* Buyers are responsible for return shipping costs. If the item is not returned in its original condition, the buyer is responsible for any loss in value.
Questions about your order?
* Please contact me if you have any problems with your order.
* I will only use your shipping and billing address, and contact information
* To communicate with you about your order
* To fulfill your order
* For legal reasons (like paying taxes)
Custom and personalized orders
* Please contact us for customized or personalized items. They are not listed here on ArtFire, but we do offer this service, when applicable or available.
* All seeds currently listed on ArtFire are available in custom quantities.
* Please contact us for wholesale amounts not listed in our store. We carry wholesale lots of seed and other Organic Supplies.
* Do to crops, availability of seed or items, and other constraints, we will do what we can to fulfill any wholesale request.
* Wholesale quantities can be found on www.downrightnatural.com
Gift wrapping and packaging
* We do not currently offer gift wrapping services.
* Seeds: Since all seeds are different, even within the same species, their care, storage, planting, germination, care, maintenance, and harvesting are all different. I try to present all of the important information in my listings and included in the packaging if requested. (If you have any questions regarding a purchase, please contact me, and I will help where I am able.)
* Handcrafted & Wildcrafted items: Due to the unique qualities inherent in the various hand and wildcrafted items I offer, each one has differing care and storage concerns. Please contact me for detailed or specific information regarding your purchase for further instructions or assistance.
Scarification & Stratification of Seeds
* When applicable, all seeds are stored in temperature and humidity controlled environments. This either stratifies or partially stratifies the seeds in question. We do not, and will not, scarify seed prior to shipment. (This is done to reduce the chance of pathogens or microbes inhibiting or destroying the seed during transit.) If you have any questions regarding stratification and scarification of a particular seed, please contact me directly, and I will help you with what to do and how to do it for optimum results.
International Orders (Standardized English [Latin Characters] spelling for ease of delivery)
* If your order is for a destination outside the United States, please provide standardized English spellings for postal addresses. (Cyrillic, East Asian, or other local address languages cannot be processed in a reasonable time by the USPS.)
* I ask you to do this is to avoid delays, refusals, and returns for your items when the address provided is not able to be easily understood by the United States Postal Service; or the characters printed are not readable due to system or computer constraints, both in printing and by processing by the various postal entities.
* I will include your address in English (Standard Latin alphabet) as well as provided by you for easy of handling and delivery by all postal authorities handling the package.
* Please contact me with any questions regarding your postal address or options you desire.
International Payments for Orders
* If you live outside of the United States and are ordering from DownrightNatural and paying by any other method that requires you to mail payment to us. Please ensure the following is followed 100%, or your order may not be fulfilled and your payment returned:
* 1) All orders MUST include your ARTFIRE ORDER NUMBER
* 2) All order must Include your PROPER MAILING ADDRESS
* 3) All Payment MUST be made payable in US DOLLARS (US$)
* 4) Payment MUST be received within 14 days, or your order will be CANCELLED
* 5) International Personal Checks will NOT BE HONORED
* 6) International Business Checks will NOT BE HONORED
* 7) Payment in anything but UNITED STATES DOLLARS will NOT BE HONORED
(I am sorry if this seems blunt, but, the fees to process your payment in anythign but US Dollars is cost prohibitive
to providing you economical seeds and crafts.)
Purchased monkey puzzle tree seeds. They arrived on time and in acceptable packaging, but the seeds are way too tiny. This type of tree produces large seeds, usually 1.5 to 2 inches in length. The seeds I received where not even 1/16 of an inch.
Emailed seller twice regarding my surprise and concern and have not received a response.
My recommendation: Find another seller.