Golden Bantam Corn Seeds Choose Packet for Growing Sweet Heirloom C1
Golden Bantam Corn has a fantastic sweet flavor that is great for fresh eating or freezing.
Golden Bantam Corn was introduced to the corn market by W. Atlee Burpee in 1902. This has been the family standard for sweet corn for generations now and there is a good reason for that. Golden Bantam Corn is reliable, adaptable and very sweet for an open pollinated heirloom corn.
The 6-7 foot-tall corn stalks with 6-inch ears of yellow "Golden Bantam" sweet corn grow in many gardens. Developed by Burpee in 1902, the "Golden Bantam" remains a popular open-pollinated cultivar, or variety, of corn. "Golden Bantam" corn plants thrive when eight hours or more of direct sunlight and warm temperatures are provided. Approximately 82 days after planting, the ears of tender corn are ready to harvest.
Plant 1/4 lb, or 450 seeds per 100 ft row, about 3" apart.
1) Search for a planting area that receives full sun. "Golden Bantam" corn grows in a range of soil conditions but prefers deep, well-drained soil with a pH from 6.5 to 8.0. If possible, plant the corn seeds in a garden area where legume or vine crops were previously harvested. Don’t plant the "Golden Bantam" seeds within 250 feet of field corn or popcorn to prevent cross-pollination. Deeply cultivate the soil with a shovel or rototiller. Break up any clods of dirt and level the soil surface.
2) Test the soil for nitrogen and phosphorus content. If the soil is deficient in nitrogen, incorporate half of the required nitrogen fertilizer before planting and the remainder during the growing season. Add phosphorus fertilizer prior to planting. Incorporating 1 to 3 inches of compost to the soil should improve the texture and add nutrients.
3) Check the temperature of the soil. Wait to plant the "Golden Bantam" seeds until after the date of the last frost and when the soil temperature is at least 50 degrees Fahrenheit. The optimum soil temperature for germination is 65 degrees or warmer. To warm cool soil, cover the garden area with black plastic mulch two weeks before the proposed planting date. Plant the corn seeds through the mulch.
4) Plant the "Golden Bantam" corn seeds in blocks of three to four rows for adequate pollination. Plant at least nine plants per row. Space the rows about 36 inches apart and the seeds 2 to 3 inches apart. In clay soil, plant the seeds about 1 inch deep. Plant the seeds 1.5 inches deep in sandy loam soil and 2 inches deep in sandy soil. One-half pound of seed provides seeds for a 2,000-square-foot garden.
5) Space the planting of "Golden Bantam" corn seeds several weeks apart to provide a continuous harvest of fresh corn. A 30-foot row of corn provides a family of four with sweet corn for about a week.
Zellajake Farm and Garden: "Seeds for all your planting needs" since 2013
Terms and conditions, READ THIS PLEASE: Orders over $10 from this ad will be shipped with tracking, Otherwise: Seeds will be shipped economy/standard or first class 2-10 day shipping (NO TRACKING and no planting instructions to keep seed costs to the buyer low), in a ziplock baggie. Our goal is to save you money on quality seeds. We are responsible sellers, and we make sure our buyers are well taken care of. Shipped within 2 business days after payment. We are a seller that caters to experienced gardeners. (germination and plant care information is readily available online, but if you can’t find germinating and care instructions, please feel free to message us). Most of our listings include germination instructions, so we do not ship growing instructions. Multiple orders of a single item will be combined into 1 ziplock. We are not responsible for buyer germination success, seeds have been tested. Seed count is approximate, and packaged by weight. Seeds vary in size, weight is exact, and based upon empirical count, quantity is estimated. Liability of seller is limited to the cost of the item(s). Zellajake Farm and Garden: "Seeds for all your planting needs" since 2013
First Item: $ 0.00
Additional Items: $ 0.00
Zellajake-Farm-and-Garden has not yet received any comments from shoppers.