Monkey Puzzle Tree Seeds - 15 Count- A prehistoric tree for landscapes
Monkey Puzzle Tree - 15 Seeds
Chilean Pine, Chile Pine, Monkey Ball Tree, Monkey Tree
Description: The monkey-puzzle tree has a regular dome-shaped crown of downwards-pointing branches set with pointed leaves. Its name derives from the belief that monkeys have difficulty climbing it. It is the nearest living example of the trees of the Carboniferous period, about 300 million years ago, which gave us our coal. Monkey puzzle tree is a weird looking tree, similar to the closely related bunya-bunya tree (Araucaria bidwillii) and is commonly mistaken for the Norfolk Island pine (A. heterophylla). Because of the longevity of this species, it is described as a living fossil. It is also the national tree of Chile.
USDA Zones: 5b -10b - Outdoors. All USDA Zones indoors
Origin: Native to Chile and widely cultivated elsewhere as an ornamental for exterior planting as we all as indoor cultivation.
Location: Monkey puzzle tree grows on volcanic slopes in the Andes Mountains in Chile and Argentina. There are 18 species of Araucaria, and 16 of them are confined to Australia, New Caledonia and other remote islands in the South Pacific. Paranza pine (A. angustifolia) is the only other New World member of the genus.
Culture: Monkey puzzle tree does best where the summers are cool and humid, and they are popular landscape oddities in Europe and New England.
Height: Over 40 ft. (12 m)
Spacing: 20-30 ft. (6-9 m)
Sun Exposure: Sun to Partial Shade.
Water: Average Water Needs; Water regularly; do not over water.
Dangers: Plant has spines or sharp edges; use extreme caution when handling.
Bloom Color: Brown/Bronze.
Bloom Time: Late Winter/Early Spring.
Foliage: Grown for foliage; Evergreen.
pH: 4.6 to 6.0
Propagation Methods: From seed; sow indoors before last frost
Seed Collecting: Allow seed heads to dry on plants; remove and collect seeds. Seed is difficult to store well without professional equipment. Must be stored and stratified in cold conditions at proper humidity.
Cultivation and Uses: Its piñones, or seeds, are edible, similar to large pine nuts, and are harvested by indigenous peoples in Argentina and Chile. The tree has some potential to be a food crop in other areas in the future, thriving in climates with cool oceanic summers, e.g., western Scotland, where other nut crops do not grow well. A group of six female trees with one male for pollination could yield several thousand seeds per year. Since the cones drop, harvesting is easy. The tree, however, does not yield seeds until it is around 30 to 40 years old, which discourages investment in planting orchards (although yields at maturity can be immense); once established, it can live possibly as long as 1,000 years.
Propagation: From seed; sow indoors before last frost. Sow point first in 5-9 cm pot 2/3 to 3/4 of the seed inserted into the compost or place seed in a zip lock bag large enough to hold 5 x the amount of seeds, add damp vermiculite, seal, and place in warmth. Open bag twice weekly to allow ingress of air.
Uses: Araucaria araucana is a popular garden tree, planted for the unusual effect of its thick, "reptilian" branches with very symmetrical appearance. It prefers temperate climates with abundant rainfall, tolerating temperatures down to about −20 °C (−4 °F). It is far and away the hardiest member of its genus, and can grow well in western Europe (north to the Faroe Islands and Smøla in western Norway), the west coast of North America (north to the islands of Haida Gwaii in Canada), and locally on the east coast, as well as Long Island, and in New Zealand and southeastern Australia. It is tolerant of coastal salt spray, but does not tolerate exposure to pollution.
Discussion: Monkey puzzle trees are highly distinctive with their tall, straight trunks and an umbrella of branches at the crown. The smooth bark is grayish-brown in color and can be up to 8 cm thick. The horizontal branches emerge from the trunk in whorls of 3 - 8 and the tree is covered in scale-like leaves all year round. These trees are mainly dioecious; different trees bear flowers of different sexes. The large cones develop in the upper branches and bright orange-brown seeds are released. The story behind the name, at least in popular culture is: The origin of the popular English language name "monkey puzzle" derives from its early cultivation in Britain in about 1850, when the species was still very rare in gardens and not widely known. Sir William Molesworth, the proud owner of a young specimen at Pencarrow garden near Bodmin in Cornwall, was showing it to a group of friends, one of them - the noted barrister and Benthamist Charles Austin - remarked, "It would puzzle a monkey to climb that". As the species had no existing popular name, first "monkey puzzler", then "monkey puzzle" stuck.
WARNINGs: Please be aware that the mature tree has leaves that come to points, and can, in some instances, pose a danger to people by poking or piercing if it is handled roughly.
All Other Countries
First Item: $6.99
Additional Items: $0.99
First Item: $3.99
Additional Items: $0.69
DownrightNatural Policies & Guidelines
The time I need to prepare an order for shipping varies. For details, see individual items.
Estimated shipping times
* Australia: 7-21 business days
* Canada: 3-10 business days
* North America: 3-5 business days
* Europe: 7-14 business days
* Australia, New Zealand, and Oceania: 7-14 business days
* Asia Pacific: 14-21 business days
* Latin America and the Caribbean: 7-14 business days
* North Africa and the Middle East: 14-28 business days
* Sub-Saharan Africa: 14-21 business days
I'll do my best to meet these shipping estimates but cannot guarantee them. Actual delivery time will depend on the shipping method you choose.
Customs and import taxes
* Buyers are responsible for any customs and import taxes that may apply. I'm not responsible for delays due to customs.
I gladly accept returns, exchanges, and cancellations
* Contact me within: 3 days of delivery
* Ship items back within: 7 days of delivery
* Request a cancellation within: 24 hours of purchase
The following items can't be returned or exchanged
* Because of the nature of these items, unless they arrive damaged or defective, I can't accept returns for:
* Custom or personalized orders
* Perishable products (like food or flowers)
Conditions of return
* Buyers are responsible for return shipping costs. If the item is not returned in its original condition, the buyer is responsible for any loss in value.
Questions about your order?
* Please contact me if you have any problems with your order.
* I will only use your shipping and billing address, and contact information
* To communicate with you about your order
* To fulfill your order
* For legal reasons (like paying taxes)
Custom and personalized orders
* Please contact us for customized or personalized items. They are not listed here on ArtFire, but we do offer this service, when applicable or available.
* All seeds currently listed on ArtFire are available in custom quantities.
* Please contact us for wholesale amounts not listed in our store. We carry wholesale lots of seed and other Organic Supplies.
* Do to crops, availability of seed or items, and other constraints, we will do what we can to fulfill any wholesale request.
* Wholesale quantities can be found on www.downrightnatural.com
Gift wrapping and packaging
* We do not currently offer gift wrapping services.
* Seeds: Since all seeds are different, even within the same species, their care, storage, planting, germination, care, maintenance, and harvesting are all different. I try to present all of the important information in my listings and included in the packaging if requested. (If you have any questions regarding a purchase, please contact me, and I will help where I am able.)
* Handcrafted & Wildcrafted items: Due to the unique qualities inherent in the various hand and wildcrafted items I offer, each one has differing care and storage concerns. Please contact me for detailed or specific information regarding your purchase for further instructions or assistance.
Scarification & Stratification of Seeds
* When applicable, all seeds are stored in temperature and humidity controlled environments. This either stratifies or partially stratifies the seeds in question. We do not, and will not, scarify seed prior to shipment. (This is done to reduce the chance of pathogens or microbes inhibiting or destroying the seed during transit.) If you have any questions regarding stratification and scarification of a particular seed, please contact me directly, and I will help you with what to do and how to do it for optimum results.
International Orders (Standardized English [Latin Characters] spelling for ease of delivery)
* If your order is for a destination outside the United States, please provide standardized English spellings for postal addresses. (Cyrillic, East Asian, or other local address languages cannot be processed in a reasonable time by the USPS.)
* I ask you to do this is to avoid delays, refusals, and returns for your items when the address provided is not able to be easily understood by the United States Postal Service; or the characters printed are not readable due to system or computer constraints, both in printing and by processing by the various postal entities.
* I will include your address in English (Standard Latin alphabet) as well as provided by you for easy of handling and delivery by all postal authorities handling the package.
* Please contact me with any questions regarding your postal address or options you desire.
International Payments for Orders
* If you live outside of the United States and are ordering from DownrightNatural and paying by any other method that requires you to mail payment to us. Please ensure the following is followed 100%, or your order may not be fulfilled and your payment returned:
* 1) All orders MUST include your ARTFIRE ORDER NUMBER
* 2) All order must Include your PROPER MAILING ADDRESS
* 3) All Payment MUST be made payable in US DOLLARS (US$)
* 4) Payment MUST be received within 14 days, or your order will be CANCELLED
* 5) International Personal Checks will NOT BE HONORED
* 6) International Business Checks will NOT BE HONORED
* 7) Payment in anything but UNITED STATES DOLLARS will NOT BE HONORED
(I am sorry if this seems blunt, but, the fees to process your payment in anythign but US Dollars is cost prohibitive
to providing you economical seeds and crafts.)
Purchased monkey puzzle tree seeds. They arrived on time and in acceptable packaging, but the seeds are way too tiny. This type of tree produces large seeds, usually 1.5 to 2 inches in length. The seeds I received where not even 1/16 of an inch.
Emailed seller twice regarding my surprise and concern and have not received a response.
My recommendation: Find another seller.