Organic Chinese Red Birch Seeds - 40 Count
Chinese Red Birch
Red Peel, Oriental Birch, Asian Birch,
Description: A conical tree to 80 ft. tall with beautiful autumn colorings. Attractive peeling bark. The bark is a beautiful rich orange-red that peels off in thin, fine, tissue-like sheets. The leaves are a dark yellow-green, turning to yellow in the fall. Fast becoming a favorite bonsai specimen.
Mature Height: 80 feet
Mature Spread: 30 to 40 feet
Bark: Peeling and attractive for its distinctive color.
Form: Tall, conical and heavy
Twigs: Reddish-brown, slender, mostly hairless.
Leaves: 2-4" (5-10 cm) long, 1 1/2-2" (4-5 cm) wide. Ovate, long-pointed; coarsely and doubly saw-toothed; usually with 5-9 veins on each side. Dull dark green above, light yellow-green and nearly hairless beneath; turning light yellow in autumn.
Flowers: Tiny; in early spring. Male yellowish, with 2 stamens, many in long drooping catkins near tip of twigs. Female greenish, in short upright catkins back of tip of same twig.
Cones: 1 1/2-2" (4-5 cm); narrowly cylindrical, brownish, hanging on slender stalk; with many 2-winged nutlets; maturing in autumn.
Soil: Moist, loamy to clayey, must be loose
Sun: Full to partial sun
USDA Zone: For Zones 4a-8b outside, or as an indoor bonsai plant.
Habitat: Moist upland soils and cutover lands; often in nearly pure stands.
Uses: Outdoor planting, patio or deck plant. Bonsai for its ease of management and desired look.
Discussion: Exquisitely rich red-brown to orange-red exfoliating bark. Upright rounded form. Dark yellow-green leaves turn bright gold in fall. Its light, copper-brown, shiny bark and golden catkins make it a very attractive tree all year round. These birch trees have an open habit, making them excellent to garden under. They can be single or multi-trunked. They are not recommended for very small gardens as they need plenty of room to mature. When choosing a location, keep in mind that the Chinese Red Birch has a moderate to fast growth rate. This variety grows up to 70 feet in height and 30 feet in width. It can be planted in zones 4a to 8b. They prefer moist soil and should be planted where there is full or part sun. Avoid planting in very compacted soils. Chinese red birch seeds are sown on the surface preferably in a humid/moist situation in half shade. They can be sown in the fall or spring/early summer. While they will germinate without any pretreatment, a short 1-3 week cold stratification (where the seeds are stored in a cool and moist environment, but not frozen) can improve germination rates. They can be stored in the refrigerator in a sealed plastic bag for up to one year.
All Other Countries
First Item: $6.99
Additional Items: $0.99
First Item: $3.99
Additional Items: $0.69
DownrightNatural Policies & Guidelines
The time I need to prepare an order for shipping varies. For details, see individual items.
Estimated shipping times
* Australia: 7-21 business days
* Canada: 3-10 business days
* North America: 3-5 business days
* Europe: 7-14 business days
* Australia, New Zealand, and Oceania: 7-14 business days
* Asia Pacific: 14-21 business days
* Latin America and the Caribbean: 7-14 business days
* North Africa and the Middle East: 14-28 business days
* Sub-Saharan Africa: 14-21 business days
I'll do my best to meet these shipping estimates but cannot guarantee them. Actual delivery time will depend on the shipping method you choose.
Customs and import taxes
* Buyers are responsible for any customs and import taxes that may apply. I'm not responsible for delays due to customs.
I gladly accept returns, exchanges, and cancellations
* Contact me within: 3 days of delivery
* Ship items back within: 7 days of delivery
* Request a cancellation within: 24 hours of purchase
The following items can't be returned or exchanged
* Because of the nature of these items, unless they arrive damaged or defective, I can't accept returns for:
* Custom or personalized orders
* Perishable products (like food or flowers)
Conditions of return
* Buyers are responsible for return shipping costs. If the item is not returned in its original condition, the buyer is responsible for any loss in value.
Questions about your order?
* Please contact me if you have any problems with your order.
* I will only use your shipping and billing address, and contact information
* To communicate with you about your order
* To fulfill your order
* For legal reasons (like paying taxes)
Custom and personalized orders
* Please contact us for customized or personalized items. They are not listed here on ArtFire, but we do offer this service, when applicable or available.
* All seeds currently listed on ArtFire are available in custom quantities.
* Please contact us for wholesale amounts not listed in our store. We carry wholesale lots of seed and other Organic Supplies.
* Do to crops, availability of seed or items, and other constraints, we will do what we can to fulfill any wholesale request.
* Wholesale quantities can be found on www.downrightnatural.com
Gift wrapping and packaging
* We do not currently offer gift wrapping services.
* Seeds: Since all seeds are different, even within the same species, their care, storage, planting, germination, care, maintenance, and harvesting are all different. I try to present all of the important information in my listings and included in the packaging if requested. (If you have any questions regarding a purchase, please contact me, and I will help where I am able.)
* Handcrafted & Wildcrafted items: Due to the unique qualities inherent in the various hand and wildcrafted items I offer, each one has differing care and storage concerns. Please contact me for detailed or specific information regarding your purchase for further instructions or assistance.
Scarification & Stratification of Seeds
* When applicable, all seeds are stored in temperature and humidity controlled environments. This either stratifies or partially stratifies the seeds in question. We do not, and will not, scarify seed prior to shipment. (This is done to reduce the chance of pathogens or microbes inhibiting or destroying the seed during transit.) If you have any questions regarding stratification and scarification of a particular seed, please contact me directly, and I will help you with what to do and how to do it for optimum results.
International Orders (Standardized English [Latin Characters] spelling for ease of delivery)
* If your order is for a destination outside the United States, please provide standardized English spellings for postal addresses. (Cyrillic, East Asian, or other local address languages cannot be processed in a reasonable time by the USPS.)
* I ask you to do this is to avoid delays, refusals, and returns for your items when the address provided is not able to be easily understood by the United States Postal Service; or the characters printed are not readable due to system or computer constraints, both in printing and by processing by the various postal entities.
* I will include your address in English (Standard Latin alphabet) as well as provided by you for easy of handling and delivery by all postal authorities handling the package.
* Please contact me with any questions regarding your postal address or options you desire.
International Payments for Orders
* If you live outside of the United States and are ordering from DownrightNatural and paying by any other method that requires you to mail payment to us. Please ensure the following is followed 100%, or your order may not be fulfilled and your payment returned:
* 1) All orders MUST include your ARTFIRE ORDER NUMBER
* 2) All order must Include your PROPER MAILING ADDRESS
* 3) All Payment MUST be made payable in US DOLLARS (US$)
* 4) Payment MUST be received within 14 days, or your order will be CANCELLED
* 5) International Personal Checks will NOT BE HONORED
* 6) International Business Checks will NOT BE HONORED
* 7) Payment in anything but UNITED STATES DOLLARS will NOT BE HONORED
(I am sorry if this seems blunt, but, the fees to process your payment in anythign but US Dollars is cost prohibitive
to providing you economical seeds and crafts.)
Purchased monkey puzzle tree seeds. They arrived on time and in acceptable packaging, but the seeds are way too tiny. This type of tree produces large seeds, usually 1.5 to 2 inches in length. The seeds I received where not even 1/16 of an inch.
Emailed seller twice regarding my surprise and concern and have not received a response.
My recommendation: Find another seller.