Organic Kenai Birch Seeds - 40 Count
Kena Birch, Kendra Birch, Pink Birck
Description: Wonderfully built small to medium tree with rounded crown of spreading and drooping branches, usually forming clumps and often in thickets. Makes a stunning impact on the landscape with it foliage and bark. The contrast, both in summer and winter is startling.
USDA Zones: 2a – 8a
Height: 25' feet to 25 feet
Diameter: 6 – 12 inches
Leaves: 3/4-2" (2-5 cm) long, 3/4-1" (2-2.5 cm) wide. Ovate; sharply and often doubly saw-toothed; usually with 4-5 veins on each side. Dark green above, pale yellow-green with tiny gland-dots beneath; turning dull yellow in autumn.
Bark: Shiny, pink to reddish/brown; smooth, with horizontal lines, deeply peeling.
Twigs: Greenish, slender, with gland-dots.
Soil: Most soils work very well for birch trees. Soil pH optimally 6.1 – 7.5. Remove large rocks prior to permanent placement.
Sun: Prefers filtered sunlight, but will tolerate full to partial sun conditions well.
Water: Keep moist for first season, not very water needy after establishment; 1 – 2 growing season.
Flowers: Tiny; in early spring. Male yellowish, with 2 stamens, many in long drooping catkins near tip of twigs. Female greenish, in short upright catkins back of tip of same twig.
Cones: 1-1 1/4" long; cylindrical, brownish, upright or spreading on slender stalk; with many 2-winged nutlets; maturing in late summer.
Habitat: Moist soil along streams in mountain canyons, usually in coniferous forests and with cottonwoods and willows.
Range: NE. British Columbia, east to S. Manitoba, and south to N. New Mexico and California; at 2000-8000'. Native throughout the eastern U.S. from Main to Southern Georgia. Hs been planted extensively in the Southwest and Pacific Northwest as a specimen planting, and landscape accent plant.
Propagation: Cold Stratify at 40` for 60-75 days. Direct sow or starter planter at 70-85`. Germanton will begin in 4 – 6 weeks. Keep seedbed moist. Seedlings require light shade for 2 to 3 months during the first summer.
Known Dangers: None
Discussion: All birches are uncommon for their bark traits. Shredding, peeling bark, and horizontal lines on multicolored trunks are the trademark of true birches. Each is distinct in its own display of exfoliating bark. Some have strips, some sheets, and some almost none at al, but provide a deeply ingrained colored bark with striations of color running perpendicular to the height of the tree.
All Other Countries
First Item: $6.99
Additional Items: $0.99
First Item: $3.99
Additional Items: $0.69
DownrightNatural Policies & Guidelines
The time I need to prepare an order for shipping varies. For details, see individual items.
Estimated shipping times
* Australia: 7-21 business days
* Canada: 3-10 business days
* North America: 3-5 business days
* Europe: 7-14 business days
* Australia, New Zealand, and Oceania: 7-14 business days
* Asia Pacific: 14-21 business days
* Latin America and the Caribbean: 7-14 business days
* North Africa and the Middle East: 14-28 business days
* Sub-Saharan Africa: 14-21 business days
I'll do my best to meet these shipping estimates but cannot guarantee them. Actual delivery time will depend on the shipping method you choose.
Customs and import taxes
* Buyers are responsible for any customs and import taxes that may apply. I'm not responsible for delays due to customs.
I gladly accept returns, exchanges, and cancellations
* Contact me within: 3 days of delivery
* Ship items back within: 7 days of delivery
* Request a cancellation within: 24 hours of purchase
The following items can't be returned or exchanged
* Because of the nature of these items, unless they arrive damaged or defective, I can't accept returns for:
* Custom or personalized orders
* Perishable products (like food or flowers)
Conditions of return
* Buyers are responsible for return shipping costs. If the item is not returned in its original condition, the buyer is responsible for any loss in value.
Questions about your order?
* Please contact me if you have any problems with your order.
* I will only use your shipping and billing address, and contact information
* To communicate with you about your order
* To fulfill your order
* For legal reasons (like paying taxes)
Custom and personalized orders
* Please contact us for customized or personalized items. They are not listed here on ArtFire, but we do offer this service, when applicable or available.
* All seeds currently listed on ArtFire are available in custom quantities.
* Please contact us for wholesale amounts not listed in our store. We carry wholesale lots of seed and other Organic Supplies.
* Do to crops, availability of seed or items, and other constraints, we will do what we can to fulfill any wholesale request.
* Wholesale quantities can be found on www.downrightnatural.com
Gift wrapping and packaging
* We do not currently offer gift wrapping services.
* Seeds: Since all seeds are different, even within the same species, their care, storage, planting, germination, care, maintenance, and harvesting are all different. I try to present all of the important information in my listings and included in the packaging if requested. (If you have any questions regarding a purchase, please contact me, and I will help where I am able.)
* Handcrafted & Wildcrafted items: Due to the unique qualities inherent in the various hand and wildcrafted items I offer, each one has differing care and storage concerns. Please contact me for detailed or specific information regarding your purchase for further instructions or assistance.
Scarification & Stratification of Seeds
* When applicable, all seeds are stored in temperature and humidity controlled environments. This either stratifies or partially stratifies the seeds in question. We do not, and will not, scarify seed prior to shipment. (This is done to reduce the chance of pathogens or microbes inhibiting or destroying the seed during transit.) If you have any questions regarding stratification and scarification of a particular seed, please contact me directly, and I will help you with what to do and how to do it for optimum results.
International Orders (Standardized English [Latin Characters] spelling for ease of delivery)
* If your order is for a destination outside the United States, please provide standardized English spellings for postal addresses. (Cyrillic, East Asian, or other local address languages cannot be processed in a reasonable time by the USPS.)
* I ask you to do this is to avoid delays, refusals, and returns for your items when the address provided is not able to be easily understood by the United States Postal Service; or the characters printed are not readable due to system or computer constraints, both in printing and by processing by the various postal entities.
* I will include your address in English (Standard Latin alphabet) as well as provided by you for easy of handling and delivery by all postal authorities handling the package.
* Please contact me with any questions regarding your postal address or options you desire.
International Payments for Orders
* If you live outside of the United States and are ordering from DownrightNatural and paying by any other method that requires you to mail payment to us. Please ensure the following is followed 100%, or your order may not be fulfilled and your payment returned:
* 1) All orders MUST include your ARTFIRE ORDER NUMBER
* 2) All order must Include your PROPER MAILING ADDRESS
* 3) All Payment MUST be made payable in US DOLLARS (US$)
* 4) Payment MUST be received within 14 days, or your order will be CANCELLED
* 5) International Personal Checks will NOT BE HONORED
* 6) International Business Checks will NOT BE HONORED
* 7) Payment in anything but UNITED STATES DOLLARS will NOT BE HONORED
(I am sorry if this seems blunt, but, the fees to process your payment in anythign but US Dollars is cost prohibitive
to providing you economical seeds and crafts.)
Purchased monkey puzzle tree seeds. They arrived on time and in acceptable packaging, but the seeds are way too tiny. This type of tree produces large seeds, usually 1.5 to 2 inches in length. The seeds I received where not even 1/16 of an inch.
Emailed seller twice regarding my surprise and concern and have not received a response.
My recommendation: Find another seller.