Organic Boyne Red Raspberry Seeds - 25 Count
Organic Boyne Red Raspberry
Description: The Boyne Raspberry is an early-season variety that is extremely winter hardy. It consistently produces deep-red, medium-sized berries. The medium sweet, aromatic flavor makes it great for freezing and jam. It will grow where other varieties experience winter injury damage to the canes.
Foliage: Sparse, Light Green to Medium Green
USDA Zones: 2b to 7a
Fruit: Smaller .3 to .75 inch Sweet, Red Raspberries
Fruit Color: Light Red, occasionally Creamy Red in color, firm, good storage life.
Water: Raspberries need lots of water when establishing, and once established, can tolerate times of high stress when water is scarce. Plan on 3 to 6 inches of water a week for the first 2 weeks, and half that much thereafter.
Sun: All raspberries prefer full sun; however, they do tolerate dappled and light shade. Your fruiting will be compromised if too much shade is given.
Soil: Loose, organic rich humus, add sand if needed to help lighten planting area. Raspberries tolerate sand or clay soils, providing the soil drains well. In wet, soggy soils, the roots can rot within a few days. Compost or manure improves texture and drainage, but if the soil is very wet, install raised beds or drainage pipes.
Soil pH: 5.3 – 6.5. All Raspberry plants appreciate a more acidic soil; this is closer to their native environment and will help support the highest fruiting you can get.
Cultivation: Plant raspberries in an area that receives good sun and is sheltered from the wind.
Spacing: Space the plants 30 inches apart and plant them 1 inches to 2 inches deeper than they were growing before. Space the rows 6 feet apart.
Care: At planting time, drive heavy stakes into the ground and string two rows of strong wire between the stakes. As the plants grow, their canes will be supported in these wires. Keep the plants fairly moist, especially during the time when the fruit is ripening. Fertilize with compost or, if you must, 10-10-10 fertilizer in early spring using 1 lb. per 100 sq. ft. Mulching is important throughout the season to conserve moisture and suffocate weeds. Keep a thick layer of mulch surrounding plants at all times. Water one inch per week from spring until after harvest. Regular watering is better than deep soaking. The roots send up an abundant number of shoots, called canes. Keep order by pruning away the majority of them, so that the survivors can produce lots of berries.
Trellising: Everbearing raspberries tend to bend over from the weight of the fruit. They benefit from some type of support. Create a simple ‘T’ trellis at knee height with a top 1-1/2-foot-wide to support the canes. This can be made using wood with twine or wire.
Pruning: All raspberries will need pruning annually! It is very important to understand the terms used to describe various parts of a raspberry plant before attempting to prune raspberries. Raspberry canes are best described and identified using two different terms; specifically, primocanes and floricanes. Primocanes are first year canes, characterized by rapid growth and expansion from the crown of the plant or ground nearby, while floricanes are second-year fruiting canes. Summer red raspberries should be pruned twice a year, first in the spring and immediately after harvest. Each spring select 5 or 6 of the most vigorous new canes and cut them back to 30 inches tall. All other NEW canes can be removed. The spring pruning, in late March or early April, consists of removing all weak canes and cutting back tall canes (over 5 feet) to 4.5 to 5 feet. The second pruning consists of the removal of canes that produced fruits, right after harvest.
Harvesting: In the morning after dew has dried will result in a longer shelf-life. When ripe, the berry will detach easily. Put in shallow containers to avoid crushing and move out of the sun. Avoid extra handling of the berries. Sunscald causes the berries to become bleached looking, but the fruit is still edible. Do not wash berries until ready to use them. The storage life of red raspberries when refrigerated is about 2–3 days.
Discussion: Raspberry is woody plant that belongs to the family of roses. It originates from Turkey, but it can be found in areas with temperate climate around the world today. There are around 200 species of raspberries, but only few species are cultivated and consumed on a large scale. Raspberry grows in areas with mild winter and cold summers, on a fertile, well-drained soil. People cultivate raspberry as a source of food and in medical purposes. There are two kinds of raspberries. Single-bearing produce one large crop every year on canes that were produced the year before. Prune these types of raspberries after fruiting in late summer by cutting out the older canes and leaving the new canes. Everbearing raspberries produce a summer crop on old canes from the previous year and a fall crop on new canes. The fall crop may occasionally be damaged by early frosts. Prune everbearing varieties in fall, winter, or early spring by removing two-year-old canes entirely and pruning one-year-old canes back one-third. On both types of raspberries, remove weak growth and suckers that have strayed too far from the supports.
Wildlife: Raspberries support a wide array of wildlife, form being a food and shelter source, or helping stabilize the soils in cut areas, to reintroduction of pioneer species in areas lost to development.
All Other Countries
First Item: $6.99
Additional Items: $0.99
First Item: $3.99
Additional Items: $0.69
DownrightNatural Policies & Guidelines
The time I need to prepare an order for shipping varies. For details, see individual items.
Estimated shipping times
* Australia: 7-21 business days
* Canada: 3-10 business days
* North America: 3-5 business days
* Europe: 7-14 business days
* Australia, New Zealand, and Oceania: 7-14 business days
* Asia Pacific: 14-21 business days
* Latin America and the Caribbean: 7-14 business days
* North Africa and the Middle East: 14-28 business days
* Sub-Saharan Africa: 14-21 business days
I'll do my best to meet these shipping estimates but cannot guarantee them. Actual delivery time will depend on the shipping method you choose.
Customs and import taxes
* Buyers are responsible for any customs and import taxes that may apply. I'm not responsible for delays due to customs.
I gladly accept returns, exchanges, and cancellations
* Contact me within: 3 days of delivery
* Ship items back within: 7 days of delivery
* Request a cancellation within: 24 hours of purchase
The following items can't be returned or exchanged
* Because of the nature of these items, unless they arrive damaged or defective, I can't accept returns for:
* Custom or personalized orders
* Perishable products (like food or flowers)
Conditions of return
* Buyers are responsible for return shipping costs. If the item is not returned in its original condition, the buyer is responsible for any loss in value.
Questions about your order?
* Please contact me if you have any problems with your order.
* I will only use your shipping and billing address, and contact information
* To communicate with you about your order
* To fulfill your order
* For legal reasons (like paying taxes)
Custom and personalized orders
* Please contact us for customized or personalized items. They are not listed here on ArtFire, but we do offer this service, when applicable or available.
* All seeds currently listed on ArtFire are available in custom quantities.
* Please contact us for wholesale amounts not listed in our store. We carry wholesale lots of seed and other Organic Supplies.
* Do to crops, availability of seed or items, and other constraints, we will do what we can to fulfill any wholesale request.
* Wholesale quantities can be found on www.downrightnatural.com
Gift wrapping and packaging
* We do not currently offer gift wrapping services.
* Seeds: Since all seeds are different, even within the same species, their care, storage, planting, germination, care, maintenance, and harvesting are all different. I try to present all of the important information in my listings and included in the packaging if requested. (If you have any questions regarding a purchase, please contact me, and I will help where I am able.)
* Handcrafted & Wildcrafted items: Due to the unique qualities inherent in the various hand and wildcrafted items I offer, each one has differing care and storage concerns. Please contact me for detailed or specific information regarding your purchase for further instructions or assistance.
Scarification & Stratification of Seeds
* When applicable, all seeds are stored in temperature and humidity controlled environments. This either stratifies or partially stratifies the seeds in question. We do not, and will not, scarify seed prior to shipment. (This is done to reduce the chance of pathogens or microbes inhibiting or destroying the seed during transit.) If you have any questions regarding stratification and scarification of a particular seed, please contact me directly, and I will help you with what to do and how to do it for optimum results.
International Orders (Standardized English [Latin Characters] spelling for ease of delivery)
* If your order is for a destination outside the United States, please provide standardized English spellings for postal addresses. (Cyrillic, East Asian, or other local address languages cannot be processed in a reasonable time by the USPS.)
* I ask you to do this is to avoid delays, refusals, and returns for your items when the address provided is not able to be easily understood by the United States Postal Service; or the characters printed are not readable due to system or computer constraints, both in printing and by processing by the various postal entities.
* I will include your address in English (Standard Latin alphabet) as well as provided by you for easy of handling and delivery by all postal authorities handling the package.
* Please contact me with any questions regarding your postal address or options you desire.
International Payments for Orders
* If you live outside of the United States and are ordering from DownrightNatural and paying by any other method that requires you to mail payment to us. Please ensure the following is followed 100%, or your order may not be fulfilled and your payment returned:
* 1) All orders MUST include your ARTFIRE ORDER NUMBER
* 2) All order must Include your PROPER MAILING ADDRESS
* 3) All Payment MUST be made payable in US DOLLARS (US$)
* 4) Payment MUST be received within 14 days, or your order will be CANCELLED
* 5) International Personal Checks will NOT BE HONORED
* 6) International Business Checks will NOT BE HONORED
* 7) Payment in anything but UNITED STATES DOLLARS will NOT BE HONORED
(I am sorry if this seems blunt, but, the fees to process your payment in anythign but US Dollars is cost prohibitive
to providing you economical seeds and crafts.)
Purchased monkey puzzle tree seeds. They arrived on time and in acceptable packaging, but the seeds are way too tiny. This type of tree produces large seeds, usually 1.5 to 2 inches in length. The seeds I received where not even 1/16 of an inch.
Emailed seller twice regarding my surprise and concern and have not received a response.
My recommendation: Find another seller.